In: Outdoors23 Nov 2013
(map) In the early 1850s, Dietrich Bohls grew tired of the bright lights, big-city feel of Austin. After all, the town was bustling with 900 people, and Mr. Bohls wanted to raise his kids in a quieter, healthier environment. He found a scenic spot a full day’s ride away from Austin, and claimed 40 acres on upper Barton Creek. The family farmed and raised goats andthe original cabins they built and lived in still exist today.
Along the banks of Barton Creek, colonies of Mexican honeybees created huge hives that folks referred to as “caves.” At first, the Bohls were the only settlers, but as more families heard about the place and moved in, it was referred as “the Bee Caves area.” When a post office was built in 1870, the town was officially named Bee Cave.